Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Parent Teacher Conferences

Tonight Matt and I attended our first parent teacher conference....as parents. We have both attended several over the last 8 years or so, but they never revolved around our own child. So this was interesting to us. Not to mention the fact that we were both a little confused as to what there really is to "confer" about when it comes to Pre K. But we went none the less because we don't want to be "those parents."

Top of the list, teacher said my child is very very bright. Which of course just makes me want to jump across the table and hug and kiss her. It was after she spoke those very words that the one topic I wanted to ask her about left my mind. You see I needed more room up there for her to fill with dotings of my child. Which she most graciously did. Telling me how she loves to read and she always has such great things to say about the book that they are reading. And how when Caitlyn isn't there, she wishes that she was cause the other children don't always "get" what's going on in the story. But of course my child does cause she's brilliant right? Regardless of whether or not she says this to every parent who walked in that room tonight, I could care less.

So why is it so important to me that my kid has her wits about her? Well, I know I don't have to tell the preemie parents that read this. But for those who don't have preemies, it's because of all those damn doctors who told me the horror stories of what could have been with this little girl. So to them, I now say, "Kiss my ass. We have arrived." Ah, I shouldn't be so harsh on them. They were all wonderful to us and most importantly, to Caitlyn. And naturally I am forever grateful. But I am reveling in the moment, and want to stay there for a while.

The teacher did say though that she sometimes worries about Caitlyn's physical abilities. In a nut shell, she has no coordination and seems to always be the child that is getting knocked over on the playground. I have had no less than 3 phone calls from the school telling me that she has been hurt on the playground, one of which resulted in a minor concussion. But we knew this about Cate. See, she is Matt's child. And well, apples and trees you know. They are going to keep an eye on her and if need be, contact the PT and get her on a 504 Plan to get her some consultative services with the PT. In English, that is a step down from an IEP. Meaning, the school needs to provide her with something for the area that she is lacking in.

There is also the concern about some of her sensory issues. Mainly, loud noises. Poor girl can't stand them. And it seems to have gotten worse since school has started. But again, this is something that is manageable. So we are not fretting.

So all in all a fabulous conference. If that's what you call chatting for 8.72 minutes.

No comments: